If you have started the process of looking for a new home, take a step back and ask yourself. Are you really ready to move into independent living? Before you answer that question, make sure you understand what you should be looking for. Here are some important things to consider before moving into independent living community.
Moving Into Independent Living: The Community
First impressions matter when considering a new home. Ask yourself the following questions to see if the residence will work for you:
- Is the building cozy and organized?
- Does the facility look well taken care of and safe?
- Can you see yourself living here?
- Does the food look good and match your dietary needs?
- Does it look like a hospital or a place to call home?
Related Article: How To Embrace the Single Life In a Retirement Community
Moving Into Independent Living: The Personnel
Your first impression of the staff is equally as important, if not more important, than your first impression of the facilities. These individuals will be a part of your daily routine, so it’s imperative that you feel comfortable around them during your visit. Here are some things to consider:
- Did the staff make you feel welcome when you first entered the community?
- Did the staff seem friendly to you, to other senior visitors, and to the residents?
- How did the staff interact with one another? Was it also friendly?
- Were you told not to speak with a particular staff member during your visit? If so, why?
- What does the staff rotation look like? Do you feel like this compliments your lifestyle?
Moving Into Independent Living: The People
Current residents can be an incredible resource to learn more before moving into an independent living facility. There’s no reason to feel shy. It’s better to ask real people and know the truth than risk moving into an independent living facility you won’t like. Here are some questions you can ask about the independent living facility to gauge overall satisfaction.
- How long have you lived here?
- Are you happy here? Why or why not?
- What do you love about this community?
- Is there anything you dislike about this community? If so, why?
Related Article: 12 Ways To Have Fun & Enjoy An Active Senior Living
This article is a simple reference tool you can take with you when looking into different independent living communities. Remember, take your time. Choosing, and moving into an independent living facility is not a decision you should take lightly. This will be your new home.
If you’re looking for a stellar retirement experience, look no further. Contact Stellar Senior Living today for more information about our communities! Click here to find a facility near you or give us a call at 801-495-7000.
Stellar Senior Living, a family owned and operated senior living network, has been recognized as one of the premier providers of Independent Living, Assisted Living, and Respite care nationwide. At Stellar, we take great pride in each of our communities, and in every single resident. We believe senior living is about more than healthcare. It’s about family. Come take a tour and feel the Stellar difference today.